Monday, December 28, 2009

Farewell 2009...

What a long, strange trip it's been, 2009. I don't even know where to begin.

Last night, while browsing around Facebook, I stumbled upon some very tragic news. I learned that an old friend of mine, a friend I met while working at the Olive Garden, Travis "Gideon" Addington, had made the decision several weeks ago to take his own life. Needless to say, I was shocked. I had just written on his wall about a week before, inviting him out with a couple of old mutual friends. Because he lived in Tulsa, he couldn't make it on such short notice, but he did say he'd be in Norman between Christmas and the New Year, and he would get in touch with us then. And now I'll never see him again. We had some really great moments working together, partying together, sharing deep conversations about life, and somehow continued to stay in touch the last ten years... even before Myspace and Facebook came along. My restaurant job in college was like my fraternity or sorority. I went to a college with a mostly Greek population. My high school friends all rushed, but I worked 40 hours a week. And many of my co-workers became like my brothers and sisters. I'm blessed that I still have many of these friends in my life, even though we live in so many different places. I remember going to the lake with a group of our friends and staying at his parents lake cabin. The night I went out with our mutual friends, we talked about that weekend... how much fun we had, the pictures we took, the petty arguments from too many people staying in a little cabin. I'm so thankful I have pictures of that weekend.

I can't imagine what goes through your mind before you make such a horrific decision. I can't imagine what his family is feeling as they spend this holiday season without their child. It breaks my heart.

2009 has been the year for that. Earlier in the year, I attended two funerals, also people my age. Three lives of young people gone too soon. It doesn't seem right. I feel way too young for this to be happening. This year has truly been one reminder after the next to hold your friends in your heart. Tell them how much they mean to you. Tell them you love and appreciate them. Be there when they need to talk, even if you think you're too busy. Or you think their problems are little or silly. Hug them tight each time you part ways. Enjoy every moment you spend with them. Cherish the little things, and remind them of their wonderful qualities. Life can be so short, and you never know when a moment might be the last...

I hope 2010 will be a stellar year, with lots of amazing moments and fewer tragedies. Lots of love to you all, blog readers and friends. I appreciate you taking the time to listen to me ramble... there's been a lot of not so happy moments this year, but you all continue to uplift me with your words of encouragement and positive support!!

Rest In Peace, Travis... I hope wherever you are, you find peace, joy, happiness and comfort. You were loved by many, and you will be greatly missed.

2 comments:

Amanda Barefoot said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I think 2010 will be a great one for you!

Brandi said...

That is so sad!
I'm sorry for your loss.