Yesterday was one of those days where I was reminded of how much I love what I do. It's easy for me to start going down the path of frustration - I was thirty before I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I was well into my grown-up years before I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. All through my twenties I saw my friends settling into their careers, moving up in the ranks, getting raises, buying houses, and doing the adult things we're supposed to do. Meanwhile, I'm working at the mall, with my college degree, making an hourly wage with no benefits. I did take a sales rep job, with benefits, but I hated it with a passion, and lasted only six months. I did buy a house at 26, only to sell it at 29, and move out of Oklahoma.
A few weeks after I turned 30, I moved to Tennessee and enrolled in beauty school for the esthetician program. Everything I packed in the back of my SUV was what I lived with for the next seven months. I went from living in a 1200 square foot house with a backyard, my two dogs, and all my furniture to a 600 square foot apartment, with one dog, no backyard, no furniture, no money, and a job at the mall (again). Looking back at those seven months, it seems like it should've been more difficult. But it never felt that way. I was going to school, and loving every single moment of it. I was stripped of so many material things, and I realized how little I really needed to be content. I missed my friends in Oklahoma, but being away from them made me realize which ones truly mattered.
So I've been back in Oklahoma over 2 years now, and I've been at my current job a little over a year. I definitely have moments of frustration. I wonder why I couldn't have figured out what I wanted in my late teens/early twenties. Or at least figured it out before I bought my house. Even now that I have a career that I love and have passion for, I still sometimes feel that I'm so far behind where I should be in life. I know we all have those moments, I've discussed this with many of my friends... but especially lately, I've been thinking about how I thought I would be so much more secure and successful by my thirties. Oh, the joys of being self employed! When my friends discuss their 401K's, I have no idea what they are talking about. When they discuss their benefits packages - I have no idea what they are talking about. When they discuss their travels to other countries, whether they be work related or just a vacation, I have no idea what they are talking about. My trip to Dallas later this month will be the first vacation I've had since... last years trip to Dallas!
Yesterday, however, reminded me that I'm in the right place. As silly as it sounds, I averted an eyebrow crisis, and was told my facials are better than the ones by the owner at a well established day spa in Norman. And that pretty much made my month. I had a girl come in who was in tears after a bad wax job at another salon across the street from us. After I fixed her jacked up eyebrows, she left a happy camper, and was no longer on the verge of a meltdown. Later that day, I had a mother/daughter team come in for 90 minute facials. And just so you know, those wear me out. I could never be a massage therapist. The mother is first. She completely fell asleep, and woke herself up from snoring. A few hours later, the daughter comes in for her facial. She says, "I hear I'm in for a real treat. My mom said you were AMAZING, and she's really picky about her facials". These ladies completely made my day. Not only did the mother love her facial, but the daughter just had a baby, and I got to give her the gift of relaxation - which is something most new moms don't really get to experience.
So, I'll just keep hanging in there. And one day, hopefully not too far away, I will be able to take a much needed real vacation.
4 comments:
great blog! and i know how you feel - i finally feel that i am in the right work atmosphere! and now that i know in my heart this is were i wanna stay and continue my education in nursing feels like such an accomplishment to finally know what i want to do!!
i admire and am so proud of you and how you moved to TN i cried after you drove away but i knew it was what you had to do!
i love you and sorry this is long :)
"i averted an eyebrow crisis"....love it!! as a girl with hearty brows, let me say....this is very important work! well done! when i'm back in OK, i will be having you tame mine!
Good for you! You HAVE to email me the salon you work at because I just may come in and have you give me a facial! Would that be weird?? To meet face to face for the first time in that situation?? :) If not email me! brandicwoods@aol.com
Ummmm, all I have to say is when is my appointment??
Post a Comment