Thursday, February 5, 2009

Movies... and books... and news, oh my!

These are my thoughts right now.

1. We got Netflix. I'm pumped! Actually, the boyfriend got Netflix, and added me to his account. So it works like this... we're on the three movie plan. He gets two movies, I get one... we have separate accounts on the computer, so he can pick whatever he wants, and I can add whatever I want to my list. We do have to confer occasionally, to make sure we don't pick the same movies, but those chances are pretty low. I don't predict he'll put Made of Honor or any foreign film on his list, and he can be fairly certain I won't pick some sci-fi/horror/fantasy movie on mine. The first movie I received in the mail was The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I was not aware that this was based on an autobiographical book. Had I known that, I would've read the book first, assuming it's been translated to English. It was an AMAZING movie. It's about the former editor of French Elle magazine, Jean-Dominique Bauby, who suffered a massive stroke in 1995. After awaking from a three week long coma, he finds himself completely paralyzed from head to toe with a rare condition called locked in syndrome. Although he can't physically move, he is mentally aware, can see with one eye, and can hear. With the help of his speech pathologist, he can communicate with a system she devised - she reads a list of letters, and he blinks when he wants to choose a letter. When I mentioned the movie was based on a book - it was his book - he wrote the whole book communicating with one eye! I highly recommend it - even if you don't enjoy subtitles - give it a chance. It's a beautiful movie!

2. I went and saw Revolutionary Road last week. I won't give a thorough review, but it was a very good movie. I wish I would've read the book first, of course, but I couldn't wait to see the movie. Don't go unless you're in the mood to be depressed.

3. I eagerly, anxiously, excitedly, pee my pants, can NOT wait to see He's Just Not That Into You. I LOVED the book! I mean, I really loved the book - I still have post it notes I used as markers, as well as highlighted passages. I would read paragraphs to my friends over the phone as a means to dispose relationship advice. I would love to go opening night (tomorrow!), but I am patiently waiting until Monday to go with friends.

4. Concerning Christian Bale: I used to have such a massive crush on this man. Back when he was a boy, and was in Little Women. Then they made a movie out of a fantastic book - American Psycho - and Christian did such an amazing job in a weird, twisted role. But more recently, he's just freaking me out. The weird Batman voice... awkward, yes... but it could be overlooked. He's freaking Christian Bale. Still a hottie! Mom and sister pressing charges? Ummm... dude, WTF? NOW... you make a total ass of yourself by dropping the F bomb every five seconds, and screaming at a lighting guy on the set of your precious movie? Sorry, you've gone from one freaking hot actor dude to "I'd fear for my life if we were dating" kinda scary. If you don't know the most recent incident I'm referring to, you can EASILY find it online.

5. So apparently... some douche, I mean some dude in Florida was arrested for trying to get it on with his blow up dolls in a grocery store parking lot. Holy cow. I haven't watched the news in over a week, and this is what I get. Read the article at the link below. My favorite part is when he tells the cops he was on his way to get the dolls some clothes. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0205091doll1.html

I have nothing more to say. I mean, really... how do you follow a blow up doll story?

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Ok, a few things. First, the book (Diving Bell) is GREAT!! Read it. Short read. In fact, if I happen to see it at the Friends of the Library book sale....I am totally getting if for you. You just made me want to watch the movie. Second, I am dying to see Revolutionary Road. Will I be disappointed? And last, the humidifier...I am intrigued. Maybe this is the answer to my dry skin. I am seriously miserable. It's like the Sahara Desert :(

the sweetest girl you know said...

You won't be disappointed in the movie, as long as you know you aren't leaving the theater filled with hope or joy. It's not an uplifting movie. I wish I would've read the book first.

The humidifier - ours is a Vicks and we got it at CVS. They have some that put out cold air, but ours puts out warm steam. We couldn't live without it. I hate waking up with a dry, scratchy throat and nose - it's helped that out a lot.

Brandi said...

You always make me smile - I never know what to expect! A blow up doll? Never expected that! :)

Amanda Barefoot said...

I'll have to check out the diving bell...we have netflix too..only clint gets 1 and i get 2. :0) he was a little annoyed when 2 lipstick jungles arrived yesterday.
okay..he's just not that into you....i am also super excited to see this movie...but i'm a little concerned about the superstar cast. that seems to always be the sign of a bad movie. i hope not. i'm still going to see it of course....

reese said...

I would love to know what your top 10 are that start with the letter "B"