Friday, October 23, 2009

Packing sucks!

Before moving in with what-his-face, I always lived alone. I hadn't had a roommate since 2003, and that was a temporary situation right before I bought my first house. Before that, I had a few roommates in college... part of 1999, and '94-'96. Packing is easy in college... at least it was for me. Now I have to figure out what is mine. Which pots and pans are mine? What towels am I taking? Did I have a blender coming into this relationship? It's never ending. Last Saturday, I split up the cards we'd given each other over the years, and about had a nervous breakdown. I didn't set out for it to be such an ordeal, but we have a drawer of cards... not just from each other, but friends, family, invitations, announcements, that sort of thing. In packing up my CD's tonight, I found the first (and I think only) mixed CD he ever gave me. He sent it in a care package to Knoxville. I should've known the relationship was over when I found out he made a couple mixes for "she's only a friend, we have a spiritual connection" girl... and the first song on it was I Met A Girl by Wheat. I should've taken his Ipod and tossed it out the window when I heard it.

I digress... sorry, packing makes me angry. I'm about to run across the street and grab a bottle of wine. My point is this... I had planned on packing a little bit each day, so I wouldn't be just crazy overwhelmed at the last minute. That's always been my moving strategy in the past. (And it has always worked well!) But if each day I pack a little, and I come across something that pisses me off or makes me cry, maybe I should wait until the last minute. At least that way, I won't be so stressed out every day for the next three weeks. Thoughts? Advice? Anyone else ever have to move out of the ex's house?

Did I mention closing day is three weeks from today? Woot woot!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Moving sucks. Watch the vino intake when packing though, or you'll end up with Tupperware, Tampons and Tuna cans all in the same box. And possibly some tough questions to answer on moving in day.

Amanda Barefoot said...

moving sucks no matter what the circumstances. but packing while living with an ex...off the charts. i would also monitor the wine intake :0) always makes for an even more emotional packing experience. it will be over soon. i'm sorry.

Brandi said...

Ahhh...I feel so bad for you. I can't imagine how awful that is - yes, everything has to be sorted - it's like a divorce - only without the lawyers! But, I'm so glad you found a house - and guess what - you'll qualify for the $8000 tax credit - that's some good news, right?? :) I'm also glad you are blogging - I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. This time next month you will be in your own house...that's something to smile about!

lindyc said...

i really hate moving. but i dont mind packing soo much. i like to look though stuff. get rid of stuff and clean. but having to go though both your stuff sucks. im sorry! the closest thing i went though like that is when me and whitney broke up. i say breakup cuz it sure did feel like it! it also felt like a divorce since we had been living together for so long. and it was like. is this mine? is that yours? we both paid for this. if you take this and i take that is it even. not fun at all.

i know its got to be hard. very hard. almost impossible but you got to think positively and think. yeah this sucks but soon i will be in my own place with my own stuff and whats.his.face. has no say in where things go. or how things should look. or whatever :)

i so proud of you! and love you verry much. you are amazing! and soon will live in norman yay! <3

reese said...

well just to clear up the blender question ... i got yours when your moved in with whats.his.face - and your more then welcome to have it back b/c i don't think i've used it once..hehe we can make some frozen drinks at your new place one night - re the packing...i am such a procrastinator in life that i'm a last minute stressed out packer...seems i can only function under pressure