and I'm finally starting to feel a little like Christmas, as well. I usually get a little stressed out around the holidays, but as of today, I'm just starting to feel a little spirited. I think one of the reasons I start feeling stressed out is the whole gift giving tradition. As you get older, it's just not as fun anymore. And I'm not a good gift giver! You know how some people just have a "gift giving talent"? I'm not one of those people. My immediate family is easy. My mom just e-mails me a list of what everybody wants, including what she wants. Not to mention, she always keeps it in my price range. Which is a whole other reason I get stressed out. Because I work for myself, and my income is highly dependent on my clientele, I never know what I'm going to make week to week. But I do know that it's usually not a lot. And... this is a big AND... right to the point, I'm just plain selfish. I go to the stores intending to buy gifts (for other people), and I come home with what I want for Christmas. This years case, so far, it's a pair of black Uggs, sweater boot style. Do I have the money to buy a pair of Uggs? No! Do they look absolutely fabulous with black leggings and a long shirt? As a matter of fact they do.
Okay, I'm getting totally off track, I just get a little excited when designer footwear is involved. What I'm getting at is that this year, I have decided that my friends do not need Christmas gifts. Neither do I for that matter. I am going to give gifts to children that actually NEED things. If you don't already know about it, there is a program through the Salvation Army called the Angel Tree. In Norman, they have trees set up around town, and you can go get a name off of a tree. It has the child's first name, their age, their size, and what they need/want for Christmas. After purchasing the gifts, you take them to the Salvation Army, and they deliver the gifts to the child, or to the family. When I worked at Olive Garden in college, we hosted an Angel Tree party, and it was awesome! We had about 20 kids, of all ages, that the employees bought gifts for. They got to eat a yummy meal and open presents, and they were so excited! The kids we had out that year were foster children that didn't have homes, so it was great to give them things they wouldn't have otherwise had for Christmas.
I highly encourage all of you to do something like this for the holiday season. I feel like every year we get a little more off track, and we seem to forget what the holiday season really means. I know I certainly don't NEED any more silly material items. And I can't think of a single person in my life who really does. Everyone I know is so fortunate and blessed to have a happy, comfortable life, so why not give to someone who's not so fortunate this year?!
4 comments:
YES!!! this is exactly what i want to do...brads sister emailed all of us about gifts this yr and what she wants a blah -- im like why?? i don't want to get gifts and i don't want to give others gifts for the exact same reasons you just said... i suggested to brad why don't we adopt a family (who has kids) and give to them this year instead of each other and he said his family won't go for that and to me that just breaks my heart - we don't need shit you know!! the selfishness of some people at christmas is why i don't enjoy it - it should just be about spending time w/ your family not gifting! girl your blog hit it right on the money! thats why we are bffs!
Great post and great idea! We have decided not to exchange gifts this year - only to buy for the kids - we are all just getting together for Christmas Dinner. We will also be giving money to charities. Isn't that what Christmas is all about anyway? Giving to those less fortunate and spending time with family.
RE: your question : The Salon and Spa on Springcreek is where we go.
I really enjoyed your post:)
Also, love your new hair - the color is gorgeous!!
I will back again:D
How did the cranberry fluff turn out??
Post a Comment