Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I am an Anti-American Socialist...

...or so it seems, according to my family.

You see friends, I am a bit of an outcast in my family. I am a liberal. I am an agnostic, pro-choice, Micheal Moore, Bill Maher loving liberal. Apparently, that does not fare well with my family, the ultra-conservatives. It already disgraces my mother that I'm a thirty-two year old woman who is unmarried with no children (her grandchildren, get it?). Oh - and it took me seven years to get through college, as she so joyfully pointed out in front of everyone the other day. If you count the year I took off, it technically took me six years. And never mind the fact that I worked FORTY HOURS A WEEK all the way through, so I could pay my rent, bills, car payment, gas, car insurance, food, etc.

Before I went to bed last night, I changed my Facebook status to something like "I can't express how happy I am to be an American right now". I wake up this morning, check my e-mail, and it tells me I have two comments on my status. The first comment...my half-brother Brian writes "try being one". So, the second comment... I guess he felt that was in poor taste, so he changes it to something like "I wonder why it's hard for you to express that". I got one asshole comment, and one passive aggressive asshole comment. I really don't tolerate bullshit like this very well. I deleted him as a friend, which sounds so ridiculous. I'm thirty-two, for crying out loud, I'm too old to be deleting people off Facebook because they pissed me off. I wrote him a message saying I have many Christian, conservative friends, and I respect every one of them, and not one of them has ever stooped so low as to call me anti-American, blah, blah, blah. I don't think his narrow mind will really "get it".

It's very frustrating. I feel as though I was always taught to have an open mind growing up, now my family doesn't understand why I hold the beliefs that I do. I guess it all evens out, because I'll never understand how they can be the way they are.

Anyway, it was exciting watching history being made last night. No matter what party you belong to, or who you voted for, it's so amazing to be a part of it all!

2 comments:

JM said...

I hear you. And you can't let it get to you. WE DID IT!!

Brandi said...

I am so happy it turned out the way it did! To tell you the truth I am more proud to be an American today than any other!