Thanks for bringing attention to a topic that I feel very strongly about.
I missed the Oprah show this afternoon. But as I was flipping through the channel guide this evening, I noticed the description of the nightly Oprah repeat. It said Lisa Ling would be visiting several farming operations, to see how the animals we eat get to our plates. As a vegetarian, I was very interested to see the spin on this.
So... Oprah starts off by talking about Prop 2, which is a ballot proposition that will be on the California ballot in this November's general election. It will require larger quarters (by the year 2015), for animals to be able to move in their cage, and allow birds to spread their wings. Lisa Ling then visits two seperate chicken farms, one a cage free facility, then a caged facility. We then cut back to a guy for Prop 2, and a couple people against Prop 2. One is a guy saying that if Prop 2 passes, he'll be out of a job because eggs will start being shipped from Mexico. Another is this dildo of a woman, who thinks that these animals aren't suffering. Even O called her out. How can you think that stuffing 5 or 6 chickens in a cage to the point that they can't move and they're covered in feces is humane? And then the other dude, also a douchebag, tried saying that they make every effort to make the animals comfortable. I know I'd be perfectly comfortable in a full elevator covered in feces. For two years of my life. Oh - this guy just used my analogy!
Okay - now Lisa is going to a pig farm. I like pigs! Not for food, mind you. I gave up pigs for dinner in college. After I learned how smart they were, and I had to dissect one, I said no more! Pretty much the same arguments from a pig farmer. This guy just said they are as comfortable in a pen as they would be in the grass under a tree. Seriously?! A six foot pig in a seven foot long stall. And another guy just said they weren't a factory farm and people usually associate factory farms as a negative place. These guys are killing me. Now we're off to a free range pig farm. Man, these pigs are super cute!! I want a pet pig!
I'm almost done blogging. Oprah gets that this is all about money. This one woman keeps arguing "we'd all like to have more space". That's your argument? I just heard this free range pig farmer say that he believes food is energy. And he believes his animals expend more positive energy, because of their ethical treatment. I may have taken it a step too far, but that's something I firmly believe. I feel it in the way I've eaten the past few weeks. It's one of MANY reasons I became a vegetarian. People - all I ask is that you buy free range meat. Think about what's on your plate!
Peace out, peeps! And eat your veggies!
1 comment:
I will say that I try to buy cage free or free range products as much as possible but they are significantly more expensive. The two things I always buy are cage free eggs and organic milk.
Post a Comment