Monday, October 27, 2008

Well, I made the mistake of asking my grandma today if she was going to vote. She's always voted, and she's always voted Democrat, so I just thought I'd make conversation while we were in the car. My bad. Discussing politics with a 79 year old woman was a stupid idea. It partly made me sad, because it made me realize how old she's getting. It also made me frustrated because it made me feel like if you're too old to drive, you should be too old to vote. Here are some of the amusing highlights from the conversation...

1. Apparently Obama isn't "Americanized" enough to be the president.

"Why not?" I asked.
"Because he was born and raised in Hawaii."
"So that makes him un-Americanized?"
"Well, they just have a different way of doing things there".

Damn those Hawaiians and their crazy ways.

2. Apparently Obama is interested in helping only the black people of the world.

"He did a lot of good things for Chicago", I said
"Well, he did a lot for all the black people. Chicago is 95% black."

Holy cow! I must've missed it when all but 5% of the white people in Chicago were shipped out.

I love my grandma, but sometimes she's crazy. This might be the first year she's ever voted for a Republican presidential nominee.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Surprisingly the older women I work with are Obama supporters - it's usually the old men who are too set in their ways to even consider him. Thank God our generation is more open minded and it seems that every generation sees color even less.