Monday, April 12, 2010

The things we find... soundtracks to my life

As you know, I've been working on getting my office together. Which means going through random notebooks that have been in a box in the garage since I moved in. For some reason I've kept quite a few notebooks from college that contain notes, essays, papers, and exams. I have no idea why I've kept them... I guess it's kinda fun to go back through that stuff... and I'm quickly reminded of how much I learned in college, only to forget years later. One notebook that I came across was a notebook from high school. I used to do a lot of writing back then, mostly poetry that reflected how immature and miserable I was at the time. I came across a page with "Callie's Soundtrack" written at the top. And since this is your lucky day, I'm going to share with you what was on that page.

(Keep in mind that this was 1994? Or '95?)

1. Today... Smashing Pumpkins
I soooooo loved Siamese Dream in high school, even though looking back Mayonnaise is my favorite song from that CD.

2. Fuck and Run... Liz Phair
Pardon my language, but that's the name of the song. I thought I was so cool for liking Liz Phair. I still think I'm cool for liking Liz Phair.

3. None of Your Business... Salt & Pepa
This makes me laugh so hard! I think Laurie and I drove around singing this in my car... and when Phoebe and I were dorm roomies, we'd sing this all the time. What memories!

4. In Your Eyes... Peter Gabriel
In my opinion, I still think it's one of the best songs ever. But nothing annoys me more than when someone thinks this is Peter's only great song. I heart Peter Gabriel so much. One of my favorite artists of all time. I would kill to see him live.

5. Hurt... Nine Inch Nails
So funny, I was just thinking today that Pretty Hate Machine is one of my all time favorite CD's. I mean, this song is awesome and all, but I'm shocked I picked this song, and not a PHM song. This song is sooooo depressing. Guess it was fitting at the time!

6. American Girl... Tom Petty
Funny how all these classic rock bands found their way back while I was in high school. We thought we were pretty cool listening to Tom Petty, The Eagles, and Skynard. This song still puts me in a good mood. It makes me want to drive!

7. What's Up... Four Non Blondes
I so remember the first time I ever heard this song. I fell in love and knew it would be popular! Laurie and I drove around singing this at the top of our lungs. Good times!

8. Crucify... Tori Amos
Of course this list wouldn't be complete without Tori. I first heard her when I was 15. Who knew I'd still be so in love almost twenty years later? This song will ALWAYS haunt me.

9. Add It Up... Violent Femmes
In the movie of my life, this song would be played in a scene with the top down on the Miata, cruising through town, with me in the middle, sitting on the back of a two seater, strawberry limeade slush(with vodka)in hand, long hair blowing in the summer breeze.

10. Dancing Queen... ABBA
LOVE this song! I think we played it at all our high school parties... reminds me of my friend Keely every time!

That's all that was on that list... and I'm surprised at the songs not on the list. So, a few honorable mentions include: Joey(Concrete Blonde), Stray Cat Strut, The Tide is High(Blondie), It's The End of The World As We Know It(And I Feel Fine), any Linda Rondstant song, Rid of Me(PJ Harvey), and any song from The Pixies' Trompe Le Monde album.

I went back in 2002 and updated the list. I'm saving that for another day. Who knows... maybe I'll update the list for 2010!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I love, love, love this! I am very fond of all lists. A music list...well, you just captured my heart. I just learned a few things about you that I didn't know.